Many, many requests were made for me to review the new Photoshop Elements 12. I apologize this is coming two months late, but I hope it is beneficial to those still considering upgrading.
This review includes a GIVEAWAY! Two readers who leave a comment will be randomly selected to receive a free copy of PSE 12. Giveaway ends Sunday, December 15th at 11:00 PM EST. See instructions the bottom of the post to see how to enter.
Photoshop Elements 12, which was released in September, is the newest version of Elements but it was not a major upgrade like Elements 11 was last year. The interface is identical to PSE 11, which was a drastic change from previous versions.
There was one significant addition, the content aware move tool, which you can sometimes use to move objects or subjects from one spot to another in an image. It works only when your subject is in front of a consistent background.
I am not nearly as eloquent as I’d like to be when reviewing products, so instead I will send you to a more thorough review at Macworld (PC users don’t be worried, the review applies to both PC and Mac).
One of the most frequently asked questions I get after a new version comes out is “should I upgrade?”
- If you have PSE 5 through 8 – definitely YES!
- If you have PSE 9 or 10 – maybe. It really depends on if you would like the text on shape tool (pretty cool one in my book) and the content aware move tool. The new interface may frustrate you though, but you will get the hang of it.
- If you have PSE 11 – NO! It is not worth upgrading for the few additions that were made between PSE 11 and PSE 12.
Below is a video showing the layout of PSE 12 and the new content aware move tool. After that preview I show how to customize the workspace, if you have PSE 11 and PSE 12.
Now for the GIVEAWAY!
The Giveaway is now closed. The winning comment numbers were 55 and 103, and emails have been sent to those who left the comments. Thank you to all who entered!
To enter to win one of the two copies of PSE 12, leave a comment on this blog post telling me what version of PSE you currently use (or that you don’t yet own PSE).
- One entry per person
- Comment must be left on this blog post, not on Facebook
- Giveaway ends Sunday, December 15th at 11:00 PM EST
- Winners will be chosen via Random.org
- Winners will be notified via email and have seven days to respond, after which an alternate winner will be selected