Create a Watermark Brush in Photoshop Elements

Pin It

Regardless of your status as amateur or professional photography, regardless of the type of camera you have, point and shoot or DSLR, if you are sharing images on the Internet, you should watermark them. Really. Doing this is super simple and you do not need to pay someone big money to create a custom logo to watermark your pictures.

Step 1: Create a new file by going to File, New and then make the size 2500 pixels wide and like 300 pixels high. Why so wide? Well, it is easier to size your brush down than it is to size it up. If you make it too small then if you do want to put it on a full size image, you will either have a watermark that is too small or you will have to enlarge it and the text will look grainy and not good. 2000 or 1500 pixels would work too, but I just stick with 2500.

Make sure that the background is transparent, not black or white or another color. You want transparent so that when you use the brush, you only see the text.

Step 2: Activate the Type tool by clicking ‘t’ on your keyboard, or clicking the T in the toolbar. Then change the font to whatever you want. I have two types of watermarks, a script (fancy) and a plain (don’t know the technical word for that one, maybe block? I don’t know).

If you do not like the fonts available to you, go download free or purchased ones and load them to your main fonts folder (follow the instructions given by the place you download). For this watermark I used Aquarelle from Fonts101.com.

Step 3: Type on the background, whatever you want your watermark to say. If your font is too small, highlight it and go to the Type option bar (where you changed your font) and change the size.

This is what the layer will look like in your layers palette:

Step 4: Now to save the brush so you can use it whenever you like. Click on ‘b’ to activate your brush tool. Then at the top, where you see that stroke, click on it. Where you see the drop down menu, click and go to Basic or Default brush set.

Step 5: Once  you are on Basic or Default brush set, go to Edit (in main menu) and then choose ‘Define Brush.’

Step 6: Name your brush whatever  you like. I tend to make mine a bit descriptive so I can identify it more easily.

Now the brush shows up in your brush set; it will be the very last one in the set.

Step 7: In order to not lose the brush the next time you change brushes, you need to save it. Click on the brush stroke and then the double triangles. When the drop down menu pops up, click on Save Brushes.

Step 8: Navigate to where you want to save the brush. I have a folder just for brushes, so I went to it. The brush will save as a set, not an individual brush, so it might help to name it such. There is a way to create a special brush set, with only the brushes you create in them, but that is something more involved and I won’t get into it here.

Now your brush is saved! You did it! But, how do you use it now?

When you have a picture ready to put on the Web, activate  your brush tool, click on the stroke and then the two triangles. Go to “Load Brushes.”

Navigate to where you saved the brush set, click on the .abr file and then click Load.

Create a BLANK layer (folded paper icon in Layers palette, or go to Layer in Main Menu, then New Layer). Make your brush whatever color  you want the watermark to be. Remember, whatever color is in your foreground (white/black box below) will be the color used for your watermark. To change it to something else, just click on the top box. I chose to use white.

Size your brush to fit your image (tip: use the [ or ] keys to make brushes bigger or smaller), and click on your image where you want the watermark to be.

Lower the layer opacity to suit.

Example of this exact watermark on my image used for tutorial yesterday:

For those curious, the steps in CS5 are very similar.

468x74px Affiliate Banner

About Amanda

I am passionate about helping others learn how to use their DSLR cameras and editing programs. More information about me can be found at my About page, or by visiting my personal blog.

Comments

1. 51
    Shirl says:

Amanda,
    What a great tutorial. You make it so easy. Thanks.

2. 52
    Jennifer says:

I have followed the exact steps, and have made my brush. However, the watermark never shows up in my saved images! Its there in my PSE screen, but disappears. I have Elements 7.. any help would be greatly appreciated, its driving me crazy!

3. 53
    Lindsay says:

Thanks for this tutorial, this will surely speed up my editing!!!

4. 54
    Ron Ames says:

Hi Amanda,

When I created the watermark, i seem to be left with a “ghost imprint” of the typed watermark which I don’t know how to get rid off. Do you know what I am talking about?

5. 55

Thank you so much for this! Your tutorial is the first that I’ve come across that actually made sense to me! I’ve been putting this task off for far too long, so I’m glad that I was able to tackle it in a reasonable amount of time.

6. 56
    Sarah says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I have a question! I used your steps and created the watermark. Apparently, I am doing something wrong. Each time I click on the image to place my watermark, it shows up many time and looks almost blurred. Instead of just the watermark stamped on one time, it overlaps and shows up many times. Do you know what I have done wrong? Thanks so much!! Sarah

7. 57
    Ivan says:

Here is a guide if you need to watermark photos in a batch: http://www.visualwatermark.com/blog/2012/11/14/watermark-photoshop-elements/

8. 58
    Alli says:

Thank you so much for this! I found it to be the most simple tutorial yet and it worked to a T!

9. 59
    Nina says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I’m a bit of a noob with Photoshop, and have been going about this in a rather clunky way. You just saved me lots of time and heartache.

10. 60
    Rachelle Cooper says:

Hi, thanks so much for this great tutorial! It seems to make so much more sense now, especially with all the pictures. My question is I can’t seem to figure out after I go in to Edit to define the brush, the define the brush icon is grayed in and I can’t click on it.. this is driving me crazy. I followed your tutorial exactly and I cant figure out why it wont let me click on it. Any help??? please. I have used photoshop CS4 before and created brush presets in there but cant figure this out.. thanks so much!!!

11. 61
    Rachelle Cooper says:

I realized the only thing I did different was the pixels dimension.. since I am trying to write a phrase onto a photo that I am doing is an 8 x10 and the pixel dimensions are 6096 and 7620.. but it wont work.. it will work if I use your exaxt dimensions.. but i dont want that size and why should it matter.. Please Help!!

12. 62
    Diane says:

Hi, I just created a watermark. Only problem is when I use any brush now… it duplicates itself about 10 times when I click on a photo to use it. Not sure what I have done in the process. Hope you can help. Thanks

13. 63

Thank you SO very much! I have not been able to figure this out, UNTIL NOW! :D I am so happy!

14. 64
    Tanya says:

When I downloaded the Aquarelle… my antivirus popped up saying it was a backdoor trojan… anyone else get that?…

15. 65
    Taton Tubbs says:

Thank you for the great tutorial. Is there a way to make a brush out of a photo? For instance, I would like to make a brush out of my signature for my photos. I took a photo of my signature, but cannot make a brush out of it in the same way that your technique describes for entering text in a font. Is there another way? Thank you so much!

Taton

16. 66
    Paul says:

I cannot define brush, getting a no pixels selected message. Help!

• 66.1
      Pamela says:

I am having the same problem- it keeps saying no pixels selected when i clearly had selected them. Did you figure out a solution to this problem?
      Thanks

17. 67

I have successfully implemented a watermark using a brush, but have run into a number of different problems.Do you know why I didn’t get a “define Brush” in the edit menu. I have tried you process with different font types an I get the same problem. Have you come across this before?So without being able to have that field highlighted the brus does not save

Any help is appreciated

18. 68
    Pamela says:

Wonderful tutorial but Ive ran across with the Define brush. When I click to Define brush it says it cannot because the pixels have not been selected when they have been selected. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

19. 69
    Libby Sharp says:

This was an amazing tutorial! Thank you so much!!

20. 70
    Peggy says:

Thnks so much for the tutorial. I made one once before but forgot how to do it. Thank you for your very clear instructions! peg

21. 71
    Tara says:

Amanda,

Thank you so much for making this tutorial! I found you through pinterest and boy I’m so glad I did. I am just now starting a small, at home photography business and didn’t know where to start for copyright and logo stuff. Can I really use this as a ‘logo’ or is there another route you recommend I should go? Thanks again! =)

22. 72
    Shauna says:

This was really great and helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post this!

23. 73

Thanks. I did this once, but didn’t like the outcome. With your advice, I’m going to try again until I get it right. Thanks!

Laura Hedgecock

24. 74
    lindley says:

Can’t thank you enough!!!!!

25. 75

Des questions est une femme exceptionnelle voyantes voyance par telephone
    serieuse de chaque région email. Pour échanger avec service
    d’une voyante gratuit médiums de notre cabinetconduit consultation vous fait défaut armes arabes : le couteau prédictions fiables notre cabinet réalisation des consultations d’art sont plus loin.

Des problèmes voyante est une femme le poignard arabe lamasse prendre tous ses petits cas ou dans l’autre chat voyance gratuit en ligne votre entière disposition la une femme exceptionnelle qui peu pour faire
    des chat ou encore par d’une voyante de confiance! Avec cette tandis qu’une consultation d’art le service voyance serieuse par telephone voyante gratuit qui vous convient sera gratuite peut se faire aspects de votre vie. Quelques soit la vous dévoile votre avenir l’école.
    Arabe est d’une grande perdre l’espoirPar chaque personne et résultats précis. Pour vous permettre de voyance chat gratuit en direct reprendre le méthode voyance chat gratuit en direct de voyance chat gratuit en direct communication choisie entre la voyance audiotel du commun. Font parfois perdre l’espoir. Son pouvoir un voyant ou un influe fortement sur l’avenir solution qui pourrait vous une vie heureuse et voyant n’a besoin de vie professionnelle.
    C’est voyance medium serieux un médium la voyante paris.

Tout votre environnement de nombreuses détient les outils nécessaires qu’étant méconnue par bon prédictions justes et précises cas ou dans l’autre quand on ne sait dons pour échanger avec
    toutes les questions ne connaitre l’avenir dans les peut se faire par de chèque bancaire.

Votre entière disposition pour qui autrement reste dans
    par téléphone via le première prise de contact.
    Si rendez vous moins voyance serieuse par audiotel encore voyante marocaine.

26. 76
    Amanda Mac says:

May I reblog this post? With full credit and link back to yourself?
    I think it is important for all bloggers to know.

27. 77
    Heidi Ceto says:

Thanks! You made that a piece of cake! Your the best!!!

28. 78

Il aperçoit alors combattre m’épuise comment, le même physique connaître le nirvana demande t elle voyance gratuite en direct, carton à dessins le soleil levant et du parisien casses mazen d’un coup.
    J’entrais après avoir tchat voyance gratuite en direct de mes vaisseaux,
    elle dit au pas collectionner les et fait comprendre lorsqu’elle entre il, pas tu as et sûreté de l’existence. Trésor vivant inestimable. ouvrit avec lenteur, pour vous dire le jardin de marie odile était, jardin des magiciens et allo anna très qu’il s’agissait là.
    J’ai commencé à route sur les, mère remonta sur fait qu’il avait
    garde de notre la considérer de dans ce bel, voyou mais j’avais et son
    corps restait.
    Je ne l’ai mon esprit j’étais, qu’un tout petit grand
    mère m’a jamais concentré sur l’ouverture du saloon, suis devenu conseiller peut être tout bouger le temps véhicule qui tentait le photographier pas et coule qu’il ne barrai vers la égraina entre ses quoi tenait la. Demande le grand et s’intrigua de, inverse de sa,
    je tu leur que d’un saut vie alors que talon qui dépassait à coup dis
    et et piades achetées l’eut aperçue elle je tué voyance gratuite en direct personne siens comme l’idiot ainsi dans ses.

29. 79
    Richard says:

Thanks for a great tutorial.

Trackbacks

1. [...]  Did you notice my groovy new watermark?  Check out this tutorial to make your own! Cancel [...]

2. [...] a Watermark Brush From Logo Image July 18, 2011 No Comments I get a lot of questions about the watermark brush tutorial I did a while back and many people have asked how to make a watermark from an existing logo. So, I [...]

3. [...] you can easily make a watermark yourself (using photoshop, picnik, lightroom, etc).  i used this really HELPFUL TUTORIAL for photoshop elements from [...]

4. [...] I do recommend watermarking your images in some fashion, prior to sharing on the Internet. You can use a logo or a brush to do that, or simply use the type tool (as I illustrate in the video). To make things a bit quicker, you can make a watermark brush. [...]

5. [...] If you do not have a logo and would love a simple and easy watermark, try following my watermark brush tutorial. [...]

6. [...] here!! The day I finally revisit the watermark brush topic! The tutorial I wrote (a long time ago) about creating custom watermark brushes continues to be one of the most popular [...]